Friday, February 29, 2008

Miter Saw Handle Repair

I bought a nice miter saw off E-Bay, but when it got here, it looked like someone at UPS ran over it with a fork truck. The blade was still reasonably good, so I decided I would re-make the handle.

Step one was to piece the old handle back together. Then I traced it on a nice piece of scrap cherry that I happened to have around the shop.

Careful sawing with my turning saw, made from plans from "Tools for Working Wood" and then a lot of rasping with my Nicholson wood rasp resulted in a pretty good basic shape.

Next, a careful cut for the blade with a little tennon saw and some carefully drilled holes for the screws finished up the whole thing. I attempted to drill out a hole for the medallion with a spade bit that I had. This wasn't the best choice. A Forstner bit would have worked better. Anyway, it saws well and fits into my Langdon miter box like it was made for the job, which it was.



No comments: