Thursday, February 28, 2008

Rip Saw Handle Repair


I have a nice Bishop thumb-hole rip saw that I picked up for almost nothing. However, it had a severe problem with the handle. A big part of the horn was missing. Typically, I would just throw such a saw out and get another one at a local garage sale, but I decided to try a rescue.

I mixed up a batch of two part epoxy and threw in some mahogany wood dye that I happened to have on hand. I then made up a quick form around the remains of the handle horn and poured in the epoxy. What came out was pretty crude, but after extensive rasping, the final results was at least functional, if not beautiful.

The epoxy is very shapable, i.e. easy to work. I'm glad I rescued the saw, since I'm partial to Bishop Saws, which were made right here in Cincinnati.

No comments: