Saturday, March 15, 2008

Woodworking Plans and CAD -- Nesting Tables 6

Today was spent getting my Woodworking Plans finalized with ViaCAD. I have to say, the learning curve has been steep, but I'm gradually getting the hang of ViaCAD. Switching from AutoCAD has not been easy. All of the commands are in different locations and there is just a huge difference in the software design approach. I can't say yet whether ViaCAD is less good than AutoCAD or what. I'm still struggling to remember where all the commands are located.

ViaCAD has some good points. 1) I have it. 2) It was cheap. 3) It does the job, and 4) It has full 3-D rendering capability, which I can't do yet.

Here is the front view of my nesting table design. It fits several criteria: 1) It efficiently uses the Mahogany shorts that I want to use up, 2) I can build it with my current tooling and skills and 3) My customer seems to like it.



Also on today's task list is finishing the prototype nesting tables that I built from scraps. I'm going to stain them, distress them and finish them with semi-gloss urethane. My distressing technique will be to roll a chunk of concrete over the surfaces, sand down the corners slightly and spritz some droplets of black spray paint over the top. This system of furniture distressing has worked well on other projects, so I have every reason to believe it will work out well here. I'll show Pics when they are done.

No comments: